However, it did get us thinking about how we could be better prepared in the future if we found ourselves in the midst of another natural disaster. The folks over at the ASPCA have pulled together a list of the items you should have stashed away in an "Evac Pack" for your pet. Their list is a REALLY ambitious: come on, 7 days worth of boiled water?! We live in New York... my closet space will make you cry...
Anyway, that being said, working off of the ASPCA's list (which you can see here), here are our city-friendly suggestions for your pooch's emergency bag:
- 3 days' worth of canned (pop-top) or dry food (be sure to rotate every two months)
- Disposable garbage bags for clean-up
- Extra collar or harness as well as an extra leash
- Photocopies of medical records + a few days worth of any medication your pet may need
- 1 really large bottle of water (store in a cool, dry place and replace every two months)
What emergency preparedness plans do you have in place for your pet?