Like many folks, we are hitting the road this holiday and venturing cross-country to celebrate Thanksgiving with family. Since Paddington will be joining us (of course!), we wanted to share you our favorite travel must-haves and packing list.
- Pet Carrier. An airline approved travel carrier. We are HUGE fans of the Sleepypod Air. We also own a Sleepypod Atom, which we prefer for shorter trips, but since we'll be taking a long plane ride want to make sure Paddy has more space to stretch out. You can read our review of both carriers here.
- Travel Blanket. While Paddy actually doesn't mind traveling in the Sleepypod without any extra padding, since we're headed to colder climates, we're definitely going to be including the Sleepypod Cloudpuff Blanket, which is a new product for the brand. Our full travel review will follow, but we love that it is compact, snuggly, and the perfect size to put inside of our Air.
- Travel dish. Though you'll have to purchase water AFTER security and you'll probably want to limit your pup's snacks and drinks while in transit, a travel bowl is very handy. We love this collapsable bowl from Good2Go, which we picked up at our local Petco.
- SNACKS! We always try to pick in-flight travel snacks that will not leave Paddy searching for water, so nothing too salty and no chews. This trip we're packing the Zuke's Mini Naturals Pumpkin treats we recently reviewed (obviously, it being Thanksgiving and all), and these I Love and You Venison and Lamb bites. Love that both packages are re-sealable and can pack pretty flat. Don't forget to also pack enough of your dog's regular food for when you get to your destination!
- Wipes. Messes can happen. We received these little travel-sized wipes in a Barkbox and love that we can attach them onto Paddy's carrier for easy access.
- "Quiet Toys" - Normally we try to pick something that is not fluff-filled or going to disturb our in-flight neighbors. While Paddy doesn't typically play with them while in transit, she'll often use one as a pillow and I think likes to have something familiar with her on the road. We picked up this cute Thanksgiving themed toy from the Barkbox Shop though I think it is now sold out.
- Leash, harness + poop bags. The basics, obviously. When you take your dog out of their carrier to go through security, it's a good idea to have them leashed just in case. We typically un-harness and un-leash for the actual flight itself (since she's in her carrier), but you're definitely going to need all of these accessories when you walk pre and post flight.
Hope this packing list is helpful-- safe travels this holiday season!
Did we forget anything? What is in your dog's travel bag?
Disclaimer: We received some items mentioned in this post for the purpose of review. For more information regarding our review/sample policy, please visit our disclaimer page.